Kirkmichael Churches

There are 2 churches in Kirkmichael village – the Church of Scotland and the United Free Church. The latter is no longer used and the building is becoming a ruin. Before the new purpose built fire station was opened in the early 2000’s the Free church building was used to house the fire engine.

The parish church in the snow
Looking over the river towards the parish church and manse
Painting the parish church early 1900's
Kirkmichael village showing the parish church
The United Free Church building standing in the village
The United Free Church building
This page was added by Sally Gingell on 01/02/2016.

Comments about this page

  • The current Fire Station was opened in the mid 1990s and before that there was a basic Nissen Hut style station on the same site. The fire engine was only garaged in the old Free Church during the building of the new station.

    The Free Church was given up by the church in the 1950s and reverted to the landowner F K Balfour who used it as a hay store. It then became a workshop and later a machinery store.

    The Hall Committee of the time had plans to convert it to new Village Hall for the year 2000 under the National Lottery Millenium Hall project but were ultimately unable to acquire it and it was sold to a developer. Sadly development never happened and it is deteriorating quickly.

    By John Milne (06/05/2017)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Catalogue navigation